During lockdown, I have to admit that I have spent many (many, many) hours watching Netflix (like everyone else) and the Food Network channel which made me want to cook even more 👩🏽🍳! One of the thing that came up frequently (if you watch few hours of cooking programs every day like I did 😵) was how some restaurants prepared fresh corn tortillas with only a couple of ingredients (if you call water ingredient). I was intrigued and I thought to give it a try as it looked simply delicious and colorful with its filling and had the added bonus of being gluten free🌮!
After searching few recipes on internet, I found out that the flour used for this recipe is not cornmeal as I thought it would be originally, you need to get something called Masa Harina which is a precooked corn flour that is not that easy to get hold of in the UK! I ordered mine on Amazon from the brand P.A.N. as it had great reviews:
My first attempt was done with a mixture of cornmeal and some standard wheat flour but if you want the gluten free version, this one is the one to go for! Plus the yellow version of this flour gives the tortilla a bright yellow color which I love 🌞
I didn’t want to get a tortilla press machine to get the uniform round shape but you can definitely get them flattened out with the flat bottom of a pot or a pan. It does not give perfectly round wrap but hey, it looks definitely homemade! 😆 Next time I will try to perfect my technique to get them more uniform but taste wise, there were pretty delicious!
So here we go with the recipe:
My salmon corn tacos (gluten free) 🌮🐟🌽
Servings: 4 wraps
Time required: 45 minutes
Level of difficulty: Easy
Equipment required: Zip lock bag, baking sheet pan
- 1 cup of Masa Harina
- 1 and 1/4 cup of Water
- pinch of salt
- 2 pieces of salmon fillet (250g)
- 1 ripe Avocado
- 20 baby plum tomatoes
- 80 g of tinned sweetcorn
- 2 tbsp of chopped coriander
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp of cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp of coriander powder
- Side salad
- Low fat yogurt (lactose free if required)
- lime wedges
- Hot sauce of your choice!
- In a bowl, add the masa harina with half the required water, the salt and mix everything using a fork.
- Add gradually the rest of the water or until you get a dough that comes together in a big ball. It is not supposed to be sticky so if you have that issue then you will need to add a bit more flour to get to the perfect consistency. Conversely, if the dough is crumbly then you will need to add one tablespoon of water at a time to bring it together. In the end, you need to end up with a big smooth dough that does not stick to your fingers
- Divide your dough into 4 equal parts and shape them into large golf balls
- Preheat a frying pan on a medium heat and spray it with a bit of olive oil
- Cut the sides of the zip lock bag to get 2 sheets of plastic then place a dough ball in between and using the sheet pan, flatten it out to about 2mm thick
- Peel off the top plastic sheet and drop the tortilla in the hot pan then peel off the bottom sheet
- Cook it for 1 minute on each side or until you start seeing some charred marks and take it out of the pan
- Repeat the process for the rest of the dough. Keep them under a damp towel to keep them pliable until the moment it is ready to serve
- For the salsa, chop the tomatoes, avocado, sweetcorn and coriander then mix them all in a bowl with the lime juice, salt and pepper to taste
- For the salmon, coat the fillets with 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper then the coriander and cumin powders
- Spray the pan with oil and fry the salmon pieces for a couple of minutes per side (or until cooked through, I like mine a bit pink in the middle!) on a high heat
- Using a fork, break the salmon in pieces and start building the tacos
- Add in a tortilla some pieces of salmon, salad salsa, dollop of yogurt, hot sauce and a squeeze of lime juice then enjoy!
They tasted so much better than store bought tortilla and it was so simple to make that I will be making more of these with different fillings (I feel like halloumi would be a great option next!).
I adapted my version to make it a bit leaner and healthier (no sour cream or cheese or deep fried things) but it still tasted amazing so go on, have a try and let me know what you think! 🌮🌮🌮