Are you a big fan of citrus fruits like me?🍊🍋🍊🍋 If so, this zingy cookie recipe is for you! 😄 Using masa harina leftover from my corn tacos recipe, I made up those great gluten-free/vegan treat to be enjoyed with a warm cuppa tea ☕🍪
At home, my fruit bowl always contains lemons all year round as I use them pretty much all the time squeezed on fish or veggies, to prepare salad dressing, flavor my tea or with the occasional G&T! 🍸 This time of the year, I also like to pack up on clementines/mandarins to get my daily hit of Vitamin C and I thought about combining them with my original lemon cookie recipe to give them an extra dimension.
It also happened that I had a leftover forgotten lime in my fridge so I decided to also throw it in the mix 😋 The main advantage of this recipe is that you waste nothing as it requires to use the whole clementine/lemon/lime!
Here we go with the recipe:
My clementine, lemon and lime cookies (GF, NF, vegan) 🍊🍋
Time required: 45 minutes
Level of difficulty: Easy
Equipment required: Baking tray, blender
- 1 lemon (unwaxed)
- 1 clementine
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds (75g)
- 1 cup of Masa Harina (170g)
- 1/4 cup of Maple syrup (85g)
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil (50g)
- Preheat the oven at 180°C (fan assisted) and put the kettle on to boil some water
- Pour the boiled water in a saucepan with the entire clementine, lemon and lime then cover and boil for 15 to 20 minutes or until you can insert a knife through the skin easily
- Whilst the fruits are softening, use the blender to blitz coarsely the sunflower seeds then transfer the content into another bowl
- Pick the fruits out into the blender and puree it for 20 seconds then add it to the sunflower seeds
- Heat the coconut oil for 30 seconds in the microwave so it becomes liquid again and add it to the mixture with the remaining other ingredients (maple syrup and masa harina)
- Once mixed thoroughly, use your hands to form 12 golf size balls of dough and place them onto the baking sheet covered with baking paper
- Flattened them out with your fingers and shape them as cookies of about 0.8cm height
- Bake them for 17 to 20 minutes are until golden
- Once out of the oven, place them on a drying rack to harden and cool down properly
The smell when they bake is like a citrus power blast in the whole house, I just love it!🥰🍋🍊
I skipped the sugar in this recipe by using maple syrup again because I just love that stuff! And because the clementine was quite sweet, I didn’t need to add the 1/3 cup of maple syrup from my original recipe. They have a crumbly texture, being soft inside but crunchy on the outside.
Not waiting any longer, they have cooled down now, going to head to the kitchen to have one with my cup of tea!
Thanks for reading through! xx